Thursday 2 August 2012

Puppy Love


Jorja and I, August 2010
Puppy Love

We bought her almost to this day, two years ago. We called her Jorja. She quickly became the love of my life. A purebred Shitzu, with a coat like silk. Jorja filled a void in me that I didn’t even know existed. I somehow imagined that getting her, may make living a lie more enjoyable with my ex-wife. Males with Cystic Fibrosis cannot re-produce. Wait, that’s a lie. There is like a 0.0003% out of all of us that can! Lol So I thought that maybe it was because she and I never had kids, maybe that’s why our relationship wasn’t working. So one last attempt by getting a puppy was what I thought I needed. Turns out I needed it, but for much different reasons.

Jorja and I loved to walk the streets of Glenwood, where we lived. I now know why they called it ‘man’s best friend’, because they truly do fit that title. This was the first dog that I owned that I could remember at least, and she very soon became my closest companion, someone with whom I shared my darkest secrets with. As it happened though, she proved not to be only good for my mental health, but my physical as well. Jorja, as I mentioned before, loved to walk. So she encouraged me with her cute little face to take her for walks quite regularly. I noticed that I had more energy. I was coughing up a lot of junk on route and was feeling more and more refreshed.
We as humans receive so much more from our precious little fur babies than we could ever give them. All they ask for is our love and attention.

This may sound harsh and maybe a little insensitive but leaving my home that day, it was harder leaving Jorja then it was leaving Alicia. I
wanted nothing but the best for her and knew that she would find love again. Someone who could give her what I was not able to. But Jorja, she was my buddy. The one with whom I spent some hard times with and shared some harsh realities. She was a part of me when I left; a part of me I miss so much to this day. It’s hard not
seeing her pictures anymore and hearing how she is. But, I have just found a way to move on, knowing my ex is a terrific person and will spoil her if not more than I would.

I quickly noticed that my motivation had diminished in the loss of Jorja. I never had any drive to get out and exercise. In fact, I hated
walking when I left. It was always a reminder of what I lost and what I so longed for. But I just told myself that one day, when I meet a new life partner, not only would they have to love dogs, but they must want one. A dog adds to a life something I feel is priceless and cannot be
obtained by any other way, than simply owning one.

Then Perry came along. He loved dogs! In fact, he has one who lives with his mom that they have had since he was a young lad. I knew that
from the way he spoke of Maggie, he would have no objections in getting a ‘fur baby’ of our own.

Then, after a recent discussion with my doctor, it was brought to my attention that my health was at a peak when I had Jorja. They don’t know
 if it is coincidence or if it’s because Jorja encouraged me to walk and added an ingredient to my daily routine that no drug ever could. That got me thinking, and with great debate and thought out planning with my CF team, they agreed that adding a canine back into my life,
may just be the thing to add years to my existence.

Our landlord agreed to us having a cat, but another animal in a one bedroom apartment can be a little crowded with two pets around. But we weren’t surprised when she said that it was not a problem. “If it means helping your
health, go right ahead, not a problem”. It’s people like her that continue to humble me here on my journey, someone who can overlook a personal preference and make adjustments to accommodate others in need. Sure she has seen the way Perry and I look after this place but it
was very kind of her to make this allowance in our behalf.

Now to find a dog! Perry suffers from severe allergies and I of course have a breathing

condition, so it was important to find a decent dog that won’t harm us. So Perry says “Why don’t we get another Shitzu?” “PERFECT”, I said! So we did some searching and found mini-shitzu puppies and started the process of adopting her. I was nervous about getting one at first because I was afraid he or she would remind me of Jorja and it would be a downer for me. But I knew that I am making a new start and a fresh beginning with Perry and that now we are going to make our own memories with our new little one.

We were not supposed to get the puppy until this Sunday. But we got a call saying that she is ready to go, so come and get her. Yesterday evening we hopped in the car, like too mad savages and took off for town, putting our own
life at risk on the highway at night, just so we could feel the warmth of our little baby girl against our skin.

It’s been less than 24 hours since Paris Raine Chaulk joined our family and as the tears role down my face as I type these very words I cannot express to you all how complete I feel again. When you live in shame of who you are for so long, you wonder if you will ever truly find
perfect happiness. I have. Through Perry’s endless love and now Paris’s warm companionship to the two of us, it helps me know deep down in my gut that I made the right choices. And that no God above

would want to take this feeling of absolute joy away from me. It is my belief that God put this “furry friends” here for a reason. To help humans learn compassion and to help us on our journey through this world. A part of me was missing, and I will never be able to replace Jorja with Paris, but I feel like a piece of my heart has been restored to where it belongs.

I can’t thank those involved with us getting Paris enough, she has brought us so much joy in so little time, and she just may save my life, or at least extend it!





Perry and Paris, on our way HOME


Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
~Roger Caras


A person who has never owned a dog has missed a wonderful part of life.
~Bob Barker

Jamie Leigh Francis
xo