Sunday 23 September 2012

The books of Revelation


The books of Revelation

It’s amazing what reading has done for me this past year. I was never a big reader. Even in high school I would go on cheat websites to get book reports so I didn’t have to read the darn things. Now the thought of a life without literature scares me, only because I have received so much joy and comfort from reading. I recommend anyone who is going through tough times in life to pick up a book. I was never a big believer in ‘self help’ books, but to be honest, they are what really helped me through. Learning about how others like me got through the darkest of days and how they prevailed through trials and tribulation made me feel less alone, and gave me the courage and determination to press forward.

My aunt Heather is a writer, and soon I after I left my wife, she sent me a care package. But not a normal care package that one would expect to receive after ending a marriage. Nope, no chocolate or alcohol, just books. At first I was really skeptical about picking them up and reading the contents as I was tired of living my life the way someone interpreted from some book. I just wanted to be free. But yet something was still missing. I had lost the love I once had for myself. How can you love yourself when you had to lie everyday just to cover up who you truly were as a human being. But then a couple of titles caught my attention and because I had a lot of spear time, and felt desperate to try anything to get me out of the funk I was in, I started reading. Page after page I cried my heart out, feeling relieved that there was hope for a lost, scared soul like mine. It took me about three months to complete all the books she sent. Some I have re-read since then. I can honestly say that those books gave me such a boost. A boost I so desperately needed. To think so much joy could be gained by simply reading! Now whenever aunt Heather recommends a book, I run out and get it as fast as I can, as I know I can depend on her to suggest a good read.

Reading these kinds of books reminds me of someone making a map on a journey for someone else to follow someday. When I read how other people have overcome the most desperate circumstances in their lives is like a guide for me of what to not do. You can learn a lot from other people’s mistakes if you are willing to learn. That’s what reading has done for me. You can also gain a lot of strength when you read books that help you love yourself and learn to find your own path in life.

I spent 7 years of my life reading and preaching from the Bible. And I am not here to insult or abuse the respect the Bible deserves; this is all from my personal experience. But I have gained more knowledge and insight and wisdom from these other books than I have from the bible. I have learned to truly love myself and be a better person. It is my belief that all of us are capable of greatness, it’s just that some of us need a little help from external sources every now and then to reach our full potential. Reading helps us reach that inner voice we all have, most of us refer to it as our “voice inside”, and helps properly train it to make us into compassionate, loving humans. Knowledge itself is not power, but when knowledge turns to wisdom after we learn to apply what we learn, that’s power!

I am so grateful to the authors who have helped me find myself again. I feel so alive because of these great titles that have lifted my spirit and strengthened my soul. I will forever be a reader now, as I have witnessed firsthand that it has the power to change your life and change you as a person.

I have also been privileged enough to affect others with my own writing. I will never get used to the kind and loving messages from people about how my journey through this tough world has strengthened them and has encouraged them to press on and push a little harder. After all isn’t that why people write to begin with? In hopes that their words can be of strength to someone else? If it didn’t benefit anyone no one would do it. It would be a waste of time. I write these blogs because it is therapy for me. To get my feelings down on paper, and be able to express myself with words and not have to worry about consequences is an amazing feeling. Better than a therapy session for me. But to know that my pain is helping someone else get through a dark time in their life is more of a blessing really. Because it’s bad enough that people have to go through rotten things, but if something positive can come from it then so much the better.

I look forward to continue reading and continue writing. I plan to do so for the rest of my life. It has enhanced my life so much that I cannot imagine ever giving it up. I need all the strength I need as my transplant draws closer and if that strength can be obtained from books, then bring it on!

I’ll conclude this blog by sharing some great titles for anyone wanting a good read;

Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway
Susan Jeffers, Ph. D
When bad things happen to good people Harold S. Kushner
Man’s Search for meaning Victor E. Frankl
SixtyFive Roses Heather Summerhayes Cariou
Hope will find you Naomi Levy
Leanring to Fall; Blessings of an imperfect life Philip Simmons

“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
`
Ralph Waldo Emerson



Peace and Love,
Jamie Leigh Francis
xo