Wednesday 13 June 2012

POKER FACE

Poker Face
When my family was home from away, we sat down and had a great game of poker. In the middle of the game, I had an epiphany. And my realization has helped my view on life.

When you play poker, your outcome or how you fair in the game is really dependent on the hand you are dealt. If you lose, it does not reflect on the type of person you are or what talents you may or may not have, but totally 100% based on the hands you are dealt. You may make some conscience decision to keep certain cards, but think about it, the outcome of each individual hand is based on the cards you are given.

As I grew up I always blamed some higher being or God for all the unfortunate things that happened to me in my life. Having Cystic Fibrosis, being raised in an alcoholic home, and having to struggle sometimes just to stay alive. I blamed ALL these things on other sources. It wasn’t until I did some major soul searching that I realized none of the aforementioned things were anyone’s fault, they were just the cards I was given. What I did and still do have completed 100% control over, is my attitude. It’s been said that attitude can either make or break a person. And now that I am having conversations with doctors and others about having a lung transplant, I’ve learned that your attitude can mean the difference between life and death. In preparation for transplant, I will have to meet with a social worker and prove to them that life is very important to me and that my attitude will help me survive.

Besides free will, attitude is one of the gifts that God has given us that we have a measure of control over. It can make the saddest day, happy. It can make the sun shine when it’s raining. But it is all in our hands.

Things happen to us that are completely out of our control, and we are human. The natural response is to want someone or something to blame. But really, does that make us feel any better? Not me. I’d rather monitor my own attitude to how I react to the given situation to make sure I don’t make anyone else more miserable than they have to be.

One thing I have learned to be detrimental in life is having a Poker Face, or a dishonest face. A poker face sure can be useful in an actual game of cards but it can ruin your life in the real world. It’s better to be honest and upfront with our emotions rather than try and cover up how we truly feel. That just leaves people confused and frustrated with us.

Yes, to be honest, it does suck that I have to go and get a lung transplant. But I have two options;

1.) I can be unhappy. I can spend every day under the covers why I have been burdened with all these defects of being a human being. I can throw pity parties and make everyone’s life miserable. I can get really depressed and need medication to keep me afloat. I can give up. Cause my family to worry and ponder over ways to get me through this very dark time in my life. I can listen to sad music all the time and cry a lot.

OR

2.) Live every day to the fullest. Be happy with the gifts and blessings I have today. I can be a light to other people who are facing their own storms and ride it out with them. I can nurture a positive attitude that will surely help me survive the surgery and the therapy needed thereafter. I can reassure my family that you know what, I am going to be ok! I can do this!

Which do you pick? What would you rather be around?
I hope you said #2. Cause that’s the one I want. I want to leave a legacy of someone who never gave up! Someone who never backed down when faced with a challenge! Someone who was a light to others who are experiencing hard times. Not a Debbie Downer. Someone whom others dreaded to be around. Who wants that? Not me!

So yes, we are all dealt shitty cards at times, but really what can you do about it? Certainly flicking that cards back at the dealer isn’t going to solve anything, nor change anything for that matter. But watch your attitude and make adjustments where needed. I think you’ll be surprised just how much it affects the situation. I know I was!

Game of Poker anyone?

“Contentment consists not in adding more fuel, but in taking away some fire.”   ~Thomas Fuller

Jamie Leigh Francis
xo